Good news for WhatsApp users as you can now unsend those embarrassing and regrettable messages as part of the latest features in the new update.
The ability to unsend messages has been long sought after by users who have resorted to sticking with chat platforms like BBM and/or prefer using Snapchat, which automatically deletes messages after a while.
The new feature offers users the option to “delete messages for everyone” in a chat within seven minutes of the initial message being sent.
After a message has been deleted users will see a notification saying “this message was deleted” in place of the original message. Both users require the latest version of WhatsApp on iOS or Android for the delete message function to work.
A guide to using the unsend function has appeared on the app’s FAQ page, however, the feature isn’t live on all devices yet.
How to unsend WhatsApp messages
- Make sure you have the latest version of WhatsApp for iOS or Android, you can find this in the App Store or Google Play Store
- Open WhatsApp and go to the chat with the message you want to delete within seven minutes of sending
- Tap and hold the message. You can also tap multiple messages to delete more than one
- Tap the Delete icon at the top of the screen > tap Delete for Everyone
- Everyone on your chat will see the message: “This message was deleted” – so you may still have some explaining to do